Saturday, 1 February 2014

Pretty as a Picture Pouches

Intent on putting my new love, Jenny Janome, through her paces, and wanting to use some gorgeous vintage fabric packs I'd bought at the flea market last weekend, the last week has seen me in a bag making frenzy!

It's fair to say I made a marvellous haul of vintage goodness in the West Country last weekend.  Hurrah!



In the back of my mind for a while, I've wanted to make these little pouchy bags.  When we were away in Derbyshire over the Summer holidays, I bought this little vintage bag at a car boot sale for £1.  The fabric looks earlier than 1940's to me but certainly emanates from the period in time to which I am partial.


This is a very simple design.  It is made as one flat piece then the edge are merely folded up and stitched in place.  I rather like my seams all to be enclosed so I knew I wanted to vary the construction of this somewhat.

I also acquired some time back, a lovely little felt posy for my collection.  I used it as the basis of inspiration for my rosy posy brooch which has been beloved of so many of you.  Why, thank you!  It stuck me that a perfect marriage could be made with these two items.


Bags were one of the first things I started making when I really got into sewing, so it was a simple matter to draft the pattern with the aid of some freezer paper. I went for more of a curvy look for my pouchy bag.


I had fun choosing the fabrics, some from my stash, some from those delightful little packets, but I had a hard time cutting into some of them, especially that divine American cotton with the red roses and blue circles!  But I really think things should be used, no point gathering dust on a shelf, is there?  The fabrics have a real international flavour.  Other than the American feedsack-style cotton, the pastel pink and green fabrics are definitely French and the rosy one with the cream background is Eastern European, maybe Hungarian.


I also enjoyed choosing a complimentary lining for each one.


I wasn't done yet though because as I said, I thought that front bag flap was crying out for a touch of flowery, felty adornment.  A smaller version of the rosy posy brooch, one that could be removed from the bag and worn on a cardigan instead, maybe.  Out came the rather large felt stash.


And then they were done.



I pondered a use for them other than just as a little evening or special occasion bag.  Crafts obviously came straight to mind!  A spot of on-the-go crochet perhaps?




Or how about a little sewing pouch?  Perfect for hexys.


And of course, what a cute little cosmetics bag one would make.


They're now all listed in My Etsy shop which you can visit here should you fancy.  

Thanks for reading along today and a very Happy February to you all. Xxx

27 comments:

  1. I'm in love with the hexy one! You're such a clever whatsit! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! they are wonderful
    Julie xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always a pleasure to pop in here and see what's blooming! Thanks so much for the continued loveliness.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful! I always enjoy your fabric choices... they make my heart sing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sooooo wonderful...look beautiful with your crafty things in ;0) (kazzyloves)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hen they're beautiful as always, I think the brooch gives it that little finish setting off the bag fabric.

    Peg x

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look lovely - One for crochet on the go is a geat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with LaaLaa - you are a clever lady!
    I'm in love with the one filled with cosmetics - the green spot fabric lining is a wonderful colour. But I'd use it for crocheted hexies - it has only taken me half a century to learn to crochet and I'm....well...hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OLÁ HEN,AS BOLSAS SER MUITO BONITAS,PARABÉNS.BEIJO.VALÉRIA.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, I love them all. You are so clever, I wouldn't know where to begin.
    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are gorgeous and so, so neat. The fabrics linings and little brooches chosen are absolutely inspired. Laughing that your first thought was to use it as a crafty pouch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are indeed.....'pretty as a picture' and so useful too!
    Jacqui x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful Hen, if I stopped playing silly games I could make as much as you!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty! Goodness, you did do well with the vintage goodies!

    Jenn @JennsCraftyWorld

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very beautiful Blog.
    GLG
    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  16. Delightful, those fabrics are so refreshing (I need everything in refreshing shades right now, in our 42C heat!). Your work is divine, Hen.
    Oh, and I do love that pin cushion!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi. I'm a new follower, working my way 'back in time' through your delightful and interesting blog. I'm enjoying reading about your pretty vintage crafts and the stories and photos from your re-enactment weekends. I look forward to following along with your future crafty journeys.... Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are so pretty! especially with the brooches. I really like the green and pink fabric by the wool / cotton, think we'd all like to look through your stash. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely Hen as always your posts fill me with joy - as soon as I saw your gorgeous purses I knew that one had to belong to me and it arrived today and I cannot stop looking at it as it is perfect. Thank you so much - St Anthony is still on the case Hen so fingers crossed! Big hugs to you Hen. All my love as always
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Hen I do love these pretty little pouches! I like the sweet fabrics and contrasting linings, and the little added flower posy brooches are isnpired! Btw, how funny we picked the same make of paint at the same time...and thank you for the tip about the pink 'Candyfloss' shade, I think I shall have to get some of that too!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  21. The pouch + the posies = a perfect marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The sweetest pouches....ever. So inspired to stitch some....Lovey fabric choices and trims.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These bags are just beautiful. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The bags are so beautiful and so simple as well. I especially love the felt posy on the flap. You really have a wonderful knack of matching the right accessory to the right item.

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X