Thursday, 1 May 2014

April Showers

I feel slightly bashful as I sit composing this blog post.  I looked with horror at the date of my last post.  Oh dear.  I feel out of practise.   I realise I've just got to get back in the saddle though so I'm just going to go for it!  Hold my hand, will you?

To make matters worse, as I sat typing this blog post a couple of days ago, the computer and screen suddenly died on me.  It seems I was fated.  Luckily, Mr HenHouse was on his way home, located the rogue fuse, and got everything working again.  My hero!

I hope you've all enjoyed a lovely Easter.  We headed off for a little family holiday to the land of smiles, more of that another time.  I'm going to first play catch up with some other news.  I'm going to lure you back to the HenHouse fold with snaps of the shower room makeover which I apparently teased you with a while back now.  Pi even remonstrated that getting to the end of my post and not finding any "after" shots,  was like finding the last page of a novel missing.  Yikes, I'm always in trouble.  Anyway, that explains the title of this post.  It was still April when I started to write it and we're talking about the shower room.  Geddit?  Let's swiftly move on.

This is an epic, are you sitting comfortably?

You can of course, scroll back a few posts and remind yourself of how horrible the shower room was before we embarked on its makeover.  However, here are a few quick reminders because really, who's got time to go scrolling back?

Yucky black tiles, the obligatory blue walls (just about every wall in this house was blue when we moved in, the telltale signs of having purchased from a single male), outdated sanitaryware.



You know this mother-in-laws tongue plant I had had for years, right since before I even met the Mr.  I never ever watered it (save for about once per year) but it steadfastly refused to die.  I thought it pretty ugly and I was quite happy to ceremoniously lob it in the bin.



Things definitely got worse before they got better.  We discovered the walls were damp so all the plaster had to come off and the room was tanked and dry lined. 



A two week job turned into six weeks.  We're lucky in that it's not our only bathroom.  Finally, there was light at the end of the tunnel.  Wallpaper and paint.  Hurrah!



I spent my time in between usefully making lavender bags from vintage fabrics.



I'm going to have to preface the reveal by saying that it's a jolly hard room to photograph, being typically quite small, long and thin as these rooms have a tendency to be.  I also waited for a lovely sunny day (although I have to confess that was probably about two months ago now) and yet when I looked at the final snaps, it seemed that actually, the light had played havoc with my pics.  Oh dear.  All I can say is that it has exposed my woeful "skills" as a photographer.  Let's get on with it then.

Right by the doorway there, I painted up a little wooden peg rack (bought cheaply in B&Q, I think) and hung up a couple of little bags.  At extremes of the scale, I treated myself to the pretty flowery Cath Kidston one (costing nearly £30 - close your eyes at this point, Mr HenHouse!) then found the other, original vintage one (probably from the late '50s/early '60s I'd guess), in a charity shop in Bridport for 99p.  Hmmm.




I'll go into the details of the fittings, in case you are embarking on a revamp of your own and that sort of thing interests you.  The shower screens came from a manufacturer called Kudos, the glass is made in Cumbria.   Hurrah for goods made in Britain!  The tray is a new fangled low level one, just 1" high, to create a sort of wet room feel, I suppose (manufactured in Derbyshire using local stone, available through Simpsons).  It's a big enclosure as we had room for it in here (900 x 1400) and it is really nice to shower in.  The shower itself is by Bristan, we have another of these in our other shower room and it's very good.




So you can see that the walls are a mix of tiles and paint.  The paint is by Little Greene and is called Linen Wash (I would say in "real life" it is quite a lot lighter than it looks here).  I tried to match it to the background of the wallpaper that's on the other wall.  I do like their paints, you can pay a little extra for a fancy one which is very durable and wipeable but has a matt finish.  The dependable brick tiles came from Walls and Floors online, they are cheap and reliable and frequently have extra 10% off promotions.  The floor we have not changed.

I initially wanted to buy an old wooden cupboard, paint it, and sit a wash basin on top.  I just couldn't find what I wanted.  So I went for a classic Victorian style basin and got a very good deal through Bradford Bathroom Company who I've used a few times.  Their customer service is dire but they are a lot cheaper than anywhere else and you get there in the end (what's a few more grey hairs?!)  This was a bargain as it has now been superceded by a model which looks the same but has a different name, the Burlington I think it is. You can buy the chrome towel rail as an add-on. Obviously this was part of its appeal in the first place.  The taps are art deco by Bristan.



The rather scrummy bathmat is a Greengate number but I have had it for years (it initially came from Girls Own Store in Bridders).  I also bought that little vintage pink stool from there.  It used to live in my Den until I had the brainwave of putting it in here to house my towel collection (strictly decorative only as the males of the household have been informed).  The towels are a mix of Cath K, Pip, Greengate and some vintage charity shop ones.  I get an inordinate amount of pleasure from that little stool and towel stack, I can tell you.



The mirror came from a junk shop in Bridport ages ago, it cost me £15.  I spent ages looking for lights. I was constrained by two things.  They had to be IP44 rated (suitable for use in wet areas) and I didn't want to spend a fortune.  I settled on those you can see, they are by Dar lighting and I'm really pleased with them at about £25 each.


Let's hop on over to the other side of the room, shall we?


So here I've gone for Cath Kidston Birds and Roses wallpaper.  Unlike the rest of this Victorian house we call home, this room is a bit of an afterthought, stuck on the back of the ground floor, and doesn't have any nice original features going for it.  It's rather bland so I thought a bit of fancy wallpaper might make a bit of a feature and jolly it up a little.  I think it looks great, my handyman who had to hang it tells me it was awful to put up.  We have coated it with a matt acrylic decorators varnish to protect it from moisture and we also had a discreet fan fitted in the ceiling.

Can we get on to my pride and joy now?  I've long wanted a wooden cupboard with glass doors in which I could arrange my nic-nacs.  I've had my eye open for ages but they're always quite pricey, even in dire condition at flea markets (Shepton Mallet, I'm looking at you).  So we popped into a second hand furniture shop from where we've picked up nice things before (it's in the West Country) and found a sturdy old one in the predictably dire condition but it was acceptably cheap at about £50.  Mr HenHouse very kindly took on the donkey work of stripping it back and mending it, I then came on line with the paint brush.  The interior is a Homebase satinwood called Candyfloss and the exterior is the same as that used for door and window, being Turquoise (eggshell) by Little Greene.



As you can see, I've added some other bits to the walls.  These are original photographic postcards of 1940's movie starlets.  There is a man at Shepton flea who always has a whole stall groaning with postcards of every type and I struggled to limit myself to just these few, a bargain at 50p each.  The frames were old cheap wooden Ikea ones I already had and I just gave them several coats of paint from a tin we already had down in the cellar (Calluna by Farrow and Ball). 



I'm getting excited now.  Would you like to see in my cupboard, all my hoarded pretties?

You would?  You're my kind of people.





So there you have it.  Not the most glamorous room to start with, and most definitely done on a budget, but we're pleased with the result.   I enjoyed making it pretty but am pleased to say it does function really well which is always important, isn't it?




Note:  Can I request (again) if you are going to pin any of these photos, PLEASE be polite and make sure you mention HenHouse as the source.   Thank you so much.

35 comments:

  1. Gorgeous gorgeous!! Love the cupboard and all the pretties inside!! And the wallpaper looks fab!!

    Incidentally, I have CK wallpaper in the bedroom and it was also AWFUL to put up, tears very easily and for some reason is rolled onto the roll upside down!! I complained and CK told me to return it (errr, it's already on the wall!!) Does look fab up though so that's the main thing!!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your bathroom is beautiful - The wall paper is stunning, and your painted cupboard is to die for. You and Mr Henhouse have done a fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! That room definitely has a wow factor, its gorgeous! Love the bags an the towels, and that little stool, its all gorgeous.
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO relieved to know I am not the only one with a 'small but gorgeous towel not to be used by blokes' collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a transformation!! I love the wallpaper and towels but the best bit is the cupboard and it's contents....everything a girl needs, sigh!! Is that your best room in the house? haha XX PS I pinned your gorgeous cupboard and gave you the credit that you deserve, thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to have you back again, your room looks fab, love the display cupboard. Regards Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's all so pretty, and the beautiful paper really softens what can often be a hard room. The tiles are lovely, too - we put them in our new kitchen, and I love them. The whole thing looks wonderful, well worth waiting for, and I reckon you'll not want to come out of there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all the pretties...and the wall paper is so perfect. You should both be so proud; thanks so much for sharing. Its wonderful to have you back! You've been missed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes, definitely more you! I love that little cabinet full of vintage delights :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's beautiful. I'm guessing it's not used much by the men in the house, with all their ugly toiletries! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. SIM AMIGA,SOU UMA PESSOA DO SEU TIPO.I LOVE CASA DE BANHO DA HEN.FELIZ FERIADO.BEIJO.VALÉRIA.(BRASIL).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely bathroom, love the wallpaper and the cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It turned out absolutely gorgeous!! I love the wallpaper and that green cabinet with all its treasures is so lovely!! Enjoy! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love, love, love your new bath! Your description is quite delightful:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this might be the prettiest bathroom in the entire world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, so pretty. That's such a good idea to varnish the wallpaper. My fav items are the gorgeous pile of towels, obviously the wallpaper and absolutely the vintage cupboard and all its contents. Thanks for posting I was getting a tad concerned we wouldn't see the finished room, mind you definitely worth the waiting for.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's very you Hen! How can you keep it so pretty with boys in the house? My OH would be using those pretty towels for sure :( It was worth the wait x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely to hear from you, I've missed you! I would like to point out though that there's nothing wrong with a few blue walls here and there....... Love The Blue Lady xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow your bathroom is so pretty, I have missed your blog posts and glad you are back blogging again :)

    All things nice...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love love love it! My very favorite bits are the light fixture and that cabinet....good job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well that was a 'last page' worth waiting for Hen! I think I'd stand looking at the wallpaper and cabinet for ages, it's so pretty, you're very lucky, nice to have you back to read. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hen, you and Mr HH have done a fabulous makeover of this space. It's now so sleekly modern, yet also very welcoming because of your well-chosen vintage-y decorating touches. Best of all, there's not a hint of what went before, both the earlier incarnation of the room and all the effort it took to complete the transformation.

    I am sure that your tips will be of great help to others contemplating their own renovating.

    Great to see you posting again! xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Everything looks so pretty. You've given me a few ideas.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your way of decorating. Can you come to my house and decorate my little bathroom laundry room? I have been banned from having wallpaper because I don't hang it and my husband refuses, so it's paint all the way at our house. I love the wallpaper you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  25. OK I'm drooling, your new bathroom is absolutely gorgeous! As for that cabinet of treasures, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

    I am waiting for a rather slow plumber to get his act together & rip out & replace my main bathroom. It's not that old, but the shower leaks, very badly installed apparently, as the tile floor will have to come up, I figured I might as well go the whole hog & get my dream bathroom.
    If it turns out half as nice as yours I will be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just my cup of tea, Hen. What a lovely room in which to begin your morning ablutions ... would set you up for the day ...

    Have missed your vintage prettiness lately, so glad you're back!

    Love Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very lovely and your attention to detail is amazing. I love the cupboard full of scrumptiousness and the stack of towels.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hen it is so lovely to have you back, I have really missed you. I think your new bathroom is just heavenly. Strangely enough we are just about to redo our old one and I have been heckling (yes sadly it has got to the heckling stage!) my lovely hubby to have the beautiful white tiles that you have. Now this has been going on for over eighteen months since the new bathroom was talked about. I was able to show him your latest post and demonstrate how perfect the tiles actually are in an actual bathroom and not the showroom. Hopefully thanks to you we have turned a corner but watch this space. You have, as always Hen, done a truly fabulous makeover and I just love it. Have a wonderful weekend, big hugs and loves to you
    Dorothyxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have serious bathroom envy - especially that fabulous cupboard with all your goodies.

    Victoria
    FlorenceandMary.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's a gorgeous transformation

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lovely Hen! I also have (or rather 'had' should I say) a pretty floral/vintage DISPLAY ONLY towel collection in my bathroom - I have given up now after all the running round and searching for the 'plain and boring' ones when the man/boy/pre-teen in the house need to dry their sopping hands! We now all use the display ones too - quite liberating actually and tbh I thought why not, life is too darn short to not have us all enjoy them :)) Wishing you more luck with your beautiful collection x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lovely to see you're back again, I was worried you'd given up blogging as so many others have done. Your bathroom is delicious! I wish I could decorate a room just like that, however our bathroom doesn't need decorated and other rooms do so I'll have to try to incorporate some of your ideas to that instead! I hope your trip to the far east was a great success, surely you brought back some lovely fabric for your stash?? Your bags are gorgeous too and I look forward to reading more. x

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X