Wednesday, 18 June 2014

A Friendly Quilt and More

It's a good few years since I started blogging but Instagram has been a more recent phenomenon for me.  I love it because it's so quick and easy, very visual and is a great way for keeping in touch, almost as if you're with the person there and then.

I've also met some really lovely people, some of whom have become friends, through both blogging and IG.  Erin is one of these people, a lovely smiley lady who also lives in London and shares a love of crafting.  We've got together quite a few times, either at the crafternoons she holds at her "Granny Shack" or here in the HenHouse.  Awww.

I was thrilled when Erin mentioned some time ago that she might like to have a quilt made.  We pinned away a few images for inspiration on Pinterest and finally got together here in the Den one Sunday afternoon to ransack my stash.  No purple, I had to remember!  I knew Erin liked bright colours, she wanted the main colour to be red, and she liked feedsack style designs.  I pulled out an awful lot of stash to get a good mix.


We settled on a design that was a real hotchpotch mix of styles.  Some sixteen and one-patch blocks, some rail fence and log cabin style.  The pile soon grew.  I enjoyed making the blocks with my friend in mind and with those colours, you couldn't help but feel cheerful.


Design wall time came a few days later...


Then it was basting and quilting.  I enjoyed being able to give Erin instantaneous updates via IG and it was nice to hear her friends getting excited on her behalf and telling me they thought the quilt was very "Erin"!


There could be only one choice for binding.


Erin said she could come over to meet her quilt in person once it was ready.  So exciting!  


Do you know, of all the (ninety-three) quilts I've made, this is the only one I've ever handed over to a recipient in person.  Even those I've made for family have always had to be sent in the post.  Would she like it?  Eeek!


I persuaded her out into the garden for a little photoshoot.


By jove, I think she likes it!


It was a dream to make, my privilege to be chosen by Erin to make her quilt and so so wonderful to be able to see her reaction on seeing it for the first time.  Thank you, friend.  Here's to Erin and her quilt!


If I may digress and slip in another ta-dah, I'm on a bit of a quilty roll so here is another pretty quilt though sadly it has had to make do without an Erin-style reveal!  


It's a mix of smallish squares in pretty pretty prints and low volume fabrics.  Fun and cute!


It is in my Etsy shop looking for a new home if you feel tempted.

Xxx

22 comments:

  1. What a lovely quilt ... no wonder she looks so happy with it!
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt for Erin is gorgeous. I love red too, Your summery quilt is absolutely gorgeous too
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. lucky Erin and lovely for you to meet the person you've made the quilt for. Beautiful, inspiring pictures. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous quilts, fabrics and colours....I may stay a while to peruse! Sarah xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE Erin's quilt! It makes me want to rush upstairs to my sewing room to make one too! It will have to wait though, it's 10.40pm here in Oz. The photo of Erin peeping over the top of her quilt brought a big smile to my face. I'd say you were lucky to find each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely quilts - I really love the yellow squares, so cheery! Thanks for the pics. Your work is so amazing.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love,love,love Erin,s quilt! The colors are just so happy.Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwww you have me blushing now love Hen. I adore this quilt muchly and love the fact that it was made with love and thoughts of me. Can't believe I'm the first person to receive their quilt in person. One of my current favourite activities is to look at all the lovely fabrics and choose new favourites. This quilt will always be one of my most treasured items. Can't wait to have it out on full view in my new flat. How exciting. You'll have to come and see it and M&M will no doubt claim it as their own and happily pose for some pictures for you! Thank you so much for making it for me (and thank you for remembered the no purple rule!!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erin's quilt is beautiful, great color combos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The quilt is gorgeous. I love the colours.
    Greetings Karina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - you are so prolific! I love them both :)
    www.thequietstitcher.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a really beautiful piece of work, very very gorgeous (they all are!).

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is beautiful. I would love to be able to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh! Erin's quilt is so me too! I love it! Going to try making one for myself! Won't be as neat as yours, but I'm going to try it anyway! Marlynne Snare Folk Artist

    ReplyDelete
  15. Two beautiful quilts each in their own way. Erin's is especially striking. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a lovely quilt! Bravo, you are magnificent! And the red dot binding is a favorite - always juicy and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Both the quilts are gorgeous :-) I particularly love the mix of colours in Erin's quilt though - I do adore red!
    Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh my goodness, they are stunning!!! Looks like Erin really loves hers too. I love the photo shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What beautiful quilts! In your stash I especially like your blue and green fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh.My.Goodness I do so LOVE this quilt---no wonder Erin does too :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE Erin's quilt!!
    Totally my style too :oD

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love Erins happy quilt Hen,its beautiful.xxx

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X