Tuesday, 10 June 2014

A Fabulously Floral Quilt

Hello readers.  Do you have your sunnies on and your feet up in the garden?  Wouldn't that be nice?  I've headed out into the garden and the sunshine today, intent on some long overdue snapping.  The sitting with my feet up and a good book will have to wait until later.



I'm catching up on some crafty makes I want to share with you.  A while back, I idly started a crochet ripple.  It was only a baby one, in fact just destined to be a cushion cover.  The yarns were a mix, a couple of balls of Rowan pure wool worsted (which I hadn't been able to resist buying)and various DKs from the stash (Sirdar and Cygnet amongst others but all wool/wool mix).



It was finished pretty soon, just a half hour in bed with Jacky Ginge in the morning and a sneaky ten minutes here and there.  I didn't want to go to the effort of crocheting a back too and I positively like having the crochet juxtaposed with something different, which in the past has been fabric.  This time, I plumped for a vintage dyed woolly blanket to which I added a gorgeous feedsack trim, a spot of crochet and some pretty vintage buttons.  It was the first time I had used Jenny Janome for buttonholes so back to the manual I went.  She coped admirably with the multiple layers.  Good girl.



This poor cushion has been flung on the chair in my den, I haven't actually decided what to do with it.  But I will find a space, oh yes I will, and for now, it looks pretty happy on the old garden bench.



More making has been taking place, I always have a quilt on the go, really.  This time, I'd received some absolutely divine floral fabrics, mainly from Japan, or America via Japan.  These 1930's inspired fabrics are my weakness, especially those from Lecien and Yuwa. I had in my head that I wanted to combine them with some pretty polka dots and ditsy florals in a haphazard "hopscotch" design.  Much cutting took place...



Before long, I was laying everything out on the makeshift design wall.



You know what comes next...



Shall we have a ta-dah moment?  It's definitely the weather for it?







I have popped it into my Etsy shop where I am hoping someone might find it and give it a lovely new home. 



It's awfully tempting to have a forty winks on the patio but I think that will have to wait for later.  I have other ideas in my head just buzzing to get out.



Enjoy the sunshine.  Xxx

20 comments:

  1. Nice to see you have sun. The sun was out yesterday all day, and earlier this morning, but now quite dull. Your cushion and quilt are wonderful.
    Julie xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the fabrics you have used in the quilt. The design looks a little like a Turning Twenty, or is it your own hopscotch pattern? I do hope you have time to sit down and spend some time in the sun today and enjoy the fruits of your labours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pamela,
      I haven't heard of "Turning Twenty". This was just something I came up with, a mixture of different sized squares and rectangles. X

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous quilt, I am forever in awe of your creations! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! how I love a spot of sunshine ! such lovely sunny photos, but where is that darling Jacky Ginge??
    bestest daisy j xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, both of your projects. I love how the pillow is made up of what I now know to be signature Hen colors, just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous projects! You are so good at completing these things! I just love what you have made!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both the cushion and the quilt are adorable - you are so clever. Ripple pattern is one of my favourite crochet patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt and fab cushion - the setting isn't too shabby either! I'm just finishing a granny quilt so feel very tempted to do some ripples

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way the Janome makes the right size buttonhole if you put the button into the special foot- every time I do a buttonhole I am in a state of wonder, after all those years of doing them one by one by hand and just hoping they would turn out the right size and sort of the same.To have identical ones- and so FAST- is magical!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dearly love your new quilt1 The fabrics are lovely! Do order them on line or thru a book? Your crochet pillow is darling too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hen, it's fun to see what you've been creating. I love the look of the sun-dappled green shades in your garden. You've a perfect setting to show off that beautiful quilt.

    It's been a while since I've done any crocheting (knitting is in the foreground) but I do love the look of your ripple cushion, and applaud your choice of the backing. My own little Janome has been sadly ignored for a while. Again, I blame the knitting.

    Best wishes to you and yours. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hen you are so prolific I feel an absolute sloth compared, it's such a beautiful quilt. At the moment I am looking at the lovely cushion bought from you and thinking, 'yes I must get on and make something'... or shall I just have a cup of tea and a biscuit?... xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so look forward to your posts as they are always full of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. All of it. Love how you've backed the cushion. And the quilt is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The quilt looks amazing - you make it look so easy. I try to make patch quilts but it just takes me so long.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lots and lots of loveliness as always Hen. Such an impressive quilt and the ripple babe blanket is gorgeous. I so enjoy reading your posts albeit I don't comment as much as I should....life and work just so gets in the way of the very nice things I like doing!!!
    However I do loads of lurking and reading posts and continue to follow because I never tire of what you have to say or show us.

    keep well

    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thoroughly enjoyed your post & lovely photos! I wish my photos were as nice-Carole

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love everything of this post

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X