Tuesday, 23 September 2014

My Quilting Room..and News!

It's a long one today people so grab yourself a cuppa and a packet of biccies and off we go.  It has been on my mind that I have never shared my quilting space with you and if you're reading this old blog, you're probably quite interested in nosing round it.  I have other reasons for also taking these snaps and recording them here today but more of that later.

So off we go to the top floor of the HenHouse.  The Munchkin kindly made me a sign for my door...



Ss you could not have failed to notice, I already have my beloved Den where most of my crafting takes place.  However, once I became rather obsessed with quilting and started to make a lot of quilts (I think it is now over one hundred), I realised that my old arthritic bones were not going allow me to keep crawling round on the hard wooden floors to baste my quilts.  So I started to think about getting a sizeable table and decided that a table tennis table would be just the ticket.  Massive and relatively cheap!  I shoe horned this into a guest bedroom and popped up there just when I needed to baste and quilt.  It was a Godsend.  After a while, I decided that we could do without the guest room and I suppose I sort of took the room over as my own.  I packed the furniture off to a charity which then gives it to homeless people getting their first council property and the rest, as they say, is history.

Enter zone number two of my mini empire!



It is dominated by that massive table.  Pretty it ain't but practical it certainly is.  This is quite a big room, good job as the table is 5 feet wide and 9 feet long.  It is otherwise quite cute really, with it's fireplace,  built-in tongue and groove cupboards and a sloping ceiling along one side.  This would have been a servants' room back in the heyday of this house, it is noticeable how much less elaborate the features are as you progress up the house.



Over in the corner, I have a rather fetching old kitchen cupboard which I bought from some favourite sellers on Bridport's street market.  Inside, it has its original red gingham sticky-backed plastic lining the shelves.  



On top, my lovely working vintage machine was a £15 bargain from the same street market and is accompanied by other bits and bobs of the vintage variety which I have picked up on my travels.  The cute spools mini quilt is a Camille Roskelly design. 



Over on the other side, I have my desk and all its useful books, notions and so on.  The vintage typewriter was £3 from a car boot sale whilst in contrast, the desk, shelves and chair are modern from Ikea.  My beloved Mac lamp was an Ebay purchase (splurge!)  The rather pretty rose print curtains are also vintage and came from a now closed-down shop in Dulwich for £10, or was it £15, I cannot remember.



This felt fox was made using a pattern in Mollie Makes magazine. I love the spines on the vintage books.



My much loved Sylko cotton reel drawers are in pride of place.



This blanket was my first ever crochet project.



Next to my desk, I have a set of Ikea shelves which houses all sorts of things including backing fabrics, quilt batting, magazines and lots of little crafty makes, many made on workshops with Julie Arkell.



I store some quilts on top.



The focal point of the room is the little fireplace which I've highlighted with a pretty green paint (a mix of various shades).  It is home to some more handmade papier mache and stitchy creatures and some fab old vintage sewing bits 'n' bobs.



So finally, the last wall looks likes this.



There's my favourite quilt alongside a makeshift old quilt ladder.



The quite splendid vintage kitchen cabinet came from Ebay.  Not my best purchase, we travelled to Hampshire and back to collect it only to find it was in pretty awful condition.  Thanks to Mr HenHouse and his patience, it has now been restored to its former glory and most importantly, is home to all sorts of lovely goodies.



In the top, I keep a lot of my vintage haberdashery finds which are a particular weakness of mine.



I lined this section with pretty Liberty print wrapping paper which can be seen when the glass doors are shut.  The drawer is home to some vintage millinery flowers and my prized hand painted belt buckles.  The middle cupboard has tins of yet more vintage haberdashery and also some of my vintage felt collection (I think I can now call it a collection!) In the bottom is my motley pile of old shirts and sheeting fabrics which I've been amassing for a few years now. 


Anyway, now to the news.  Are you sitting comfortably?  On Sunday, I finally had reason to pile up all those quilts...



...take out all my beloved felty needlecases...



...and get packing!


I've been meeting kind and helpful friends in car parks for boxy handovers.



In the better moments, I've been drinking celebratory champagne with my partner-in-crime, Mr HenHouse.



And otherwise turning the HenHouse into cardboard city!



Not just my quilting room but my Den too.  Yikes!



That's just the tip of the iceberg.  I'm pleased to share with you that the time has finally come for us to realise our dream and perform our very own escape to the country.  In just over a week's time, the whole of the HenHouse will be packed into quite a lot of vans and moved many miles away to our beloved West Country.  

So my friends, I hope this goes some way to explain my continued sporadic posting recently, there has been an awful lot going on for the last six months, and to let you know that it's going to be a little while until I shall be back here again.  It's so long old HenHouse and hello new.  Next time, there will be a new HenHouse, a new Den and all sorts of exciting stuff to look forward to.  We are ready.  Well, we will be when all those boxes are filled!  

Cherio X

P.S.  Please make sure you link back properly to any repinned/posted pictures.  Thank you. 

44 comments:

  1. Good luck with your move - I certainly don't envy you all that sorting/packing/unpacking etc etc but I do sort of envy you an exciting journey and all that your new home will offer you. It'll be interesting for us to see where you're moving to and all the plans you'll have to make it a special home. So many people I know are moving west from here, neighbours and friends. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful house ! those two in the car park look a bit dodgy :) can't wait to see all you gorgeous things unpacked at the other end ! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful here in the west! Look forward to hearing about your new adventures! Sorry to hear about your furry companions, it's a funny feeling in a house when they go. Good luck with the move! Love The Blue Lady x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo hoo ... good luck with your move ... and welcome to my my part of the country! M x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely room !!! Good luck with the move. Looking forward to see your new home !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the move. its the best thing we did twenty-four years ago!
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I love your crafty space! What a fabulous idea to use a ping pong table!! Good luck with your move! I LOVE your blog!!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best wishes to you and yours lovely Hen - we hope the move goes well and we really look forward to seeing your new country digs.

    Julie and Poppy Q
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with your move hen! ( I'm trying not to grin as of course I knew what you were up to, and hasn't it taken a long time) So looking forward to seeing photos of the new home once you're settled. Wishing you a happy new start, take care, pi, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, how exciting! Good luck on your move and your new house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoever moves into your home will be very lucky indeed! Good luck with the move. I look forward to reading about your adventures in your new home. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. How exciting! I wish you all the best with your move. I wasn't sure what you were going to tell us, maybe that you were opening a shop of your own, but this is really big and I am sure you will be very happy in your new home in the country.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love reading your blog, have only recently found you. Hope your move goes well and you will have your new craft space in order soon. πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
  14. How exciting! Can't wait to see your new place. But then, I read your previous post, which I had missed; I am so sorry that you have lost those two. Hugs and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have/had a beautiful quilting/crafting room and den, and I hope that your new rooms in your new home and with your new life will be wonderful for you too. I hope that everything goes really well with the move and that you have a wonderful time in your new home - as well as in your crafting zones. Looking forward to hearing all about it in due course. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. How wonderful to be moving to the country. Is Mr HH up to the commute to work OK? Guess he must be. I think your quilting room is so lovely. Nice one on getting the table tennis table for quilt layering. I'm in the process of having a custom made gate leg cutting table made. It's going to be like a drop leaf dining room table but a lot higher so I don't get backache. I'll be keeping an eye out for your return to the blogging world. Good luck to you and your wonderful boys.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow! How very exciting for you all. I hope the move goes smoothly. Will you be moving near to your current West Country pad?

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have a beautiful home and I'm sure the new one will be just as nice. Looking forward to a tour when you get settled in. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow exciting times Hen! Really looking forward to following what I am sure will be a gorgeous new adventure. Hope the move goes smoothly xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, that is super exciting that you are moving to the country! I can't wait to find out what your new house will be like!!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hope your move goes well and that you find plenty of room for all your wonderful fabric. Enjoy the country and Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hope your move goes well. Looking forward to your new Henhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW!!!! How exciting for you!!!!! Good luck with the move and Happy New Place to you all!!!!!!
    Love
    AMarie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. So sorry to hear about the loss of you furry friends, in your last post but exciting news about the move. xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just discovered your blog and have been over-filled with a happy visit!
    Enjoy the moving adventure - it sounds brilliant!
    Hugs
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hope the move goes smoothly. It's not much wonder you won't be here for a while if you're moving all that gorgeous stuff in your 'room' never mind the rest of the house!! Have fun setting up your new den/studio, we look forward to the grand tour! x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good luck with the move Hen, looking forward to seeing your new home .xxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Me encanta el cuarto de costura, los colores, las telas... todo.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Since I live in Silicon Valley, California, and my husband commutes to work by walking into what was our family room, I'd love to know if Mr H will be commuting 145 miles to work, or if he will be working near your new country home. Do many people commute into town daily from such a distance in England? Also, nosy me, I've been wondering if the Munchkin's new school is in London or near your new home - or if he will make another change once you have moved.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well Hen, this is very big news!

    Moving is always a bit traumatic, but strangely energizing too, with the potential to de-accession some surprises that have been held on to for a long time.

    Like the prior commenters, I wish you and yours well. And am curious to learn more about this relocation.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good luck with your move, how exciting! (and exhausting!) I am now DEEEEEPLY ashamed of the Black Hole that is my sewing room. No pictures. No, i really couldn't. How do you keep yours so TIDY???????? Lxx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for the lovely tour, I know from reading your blog you love your cottage in Devon, I'm presuming that's where you're going to live full time. I prefer the country too, I don't envy you the packing and unpacking lol. I look forward to reading about your new life and your next creations.

    Take care and don't tire yourself out.

    Peg x

    ReplyDelete
  33. So exciting! Can't wait to see the new rooms.....hope you are back soon. Will miss your beautiful makes til then...

    ReplyDelete
  34. Only a week away! How very exciting! Hope all goes smoothly- see you in The West.X

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh My! What a job! But so happy for you to been fulfilling a dream! I'm sure your new dwelling will be just as attractive as in the past!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What beautiful stuff you have and your quilting room is so beautiful, my sewing room is a nightmare. Looking forward to seeing your new place, how beautiful to live in the West Country, immediately makes me feel like reading Thomas Hardy again....

    ReplyDelete
  37. What an exciting time for you all. I hope the move goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I just recently found you through interest! Love your blog and your current home. Wishing you the best and look forward to seeing your new home and the creativity you add to it!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Super exciting news about your move,but not so happy about the packing!!! Can't wait to see your new place. Enjoy!

    PS: Fabulous idea of using a table tennis. We have one, but never thought of using it for quilting...duh!

    ReplyDelete
  40. ooh how exciting to move into a new home, what fun you will have making it your own x

    ReplyDelete
  41. How fabulous and what an exciting time for you!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Busy times. How nice to be setting up a new Hen's Den.

    ReplyDelete
  43. All the best on your new adventure! Looking forward to seeing photos of your new henhouse.
    Blessings,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  44. I've been away for a while busy with life but am now coming out the other side and catching up with your lovely blog. I was admiring your quilting room and couldn't believe my eyes, you have a Novum machine! I have one too and have never met anyone else who has one. I feel in very good company now. ��

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X