Monday, 3 November 2014

Out with the Old, In with the New

Hello readers, how nice to be back at my desk, joining you again in the land of Blog on this rather gloomy November morning.  How are you all?  Jolly good, I hope.  So when we last got together, it was all go, go, go on the house move front.  I've never seen so many boxes, I think we had over three hundred in the end.  It was an horrifically busy, tiring and emotional time, not to be contemplated again in a hurry!


In the nine years we'd lived in the HenHouse in London, we'd put down roots and made friends.  The final Wednesday, the lovely folks I'd met with each week at Stag & Bow put on a little party.  I do miss them though I've not had much time for sitting and eating cake to be honest!


My parents were brilliant as ever and helped us out the final week.  As we packed and took down fittings and got rid of things we no longer needed, our living space shrank and we found ourselves eating at the picnic table in a sea of boxes.  Hard going as these times are, they make lasting memories.  Not quite looking my best there!


Too soon, the final day dawned.  The lorries began to arrive and it was crazy hectic.  I'd thought we were really organised but there is always such a lot which cannot be done until the last minute.  It's striking, when I look at this picture now, I see the flats over the road, the cars and just how built up everything is.  It's funny how quickly our new surroundings have become the norm.


After two full days loading five removal lorries, we threw all those last bits into any available bag or box, packed up the car and most importantly, that lovely furry friend.  Come on Charlie Boy, the West Country awaits you!


I was worried I wouldn't have the energy to drive the 135 miles to our new home but it was actually quite a relief.  It was the longest I'd sat still in quite some time.  Breathe and relax...

We drove through the gate and over the gravel just before it turned dark.  Yay!  An hour or so later, the first removal lorry rolled into the drive.  Hurrah!  So exciting!  It was really happening.  We'd spent so long waiting for this moment, it was hard to believe it had finally arrived.


I think we ate pizza and of course, drank champagne, at about midnight and we fell into bed some time after 2am.  Zzzzzzzz.  That bed never felt so good, I can tell you.

Next day when we woke up, the view from the bedroom window in the light of day took our breath away.  We'd finally made it.  Hello Smiling Somerset.


Charlie soon found the eidy and was non-plussed by the whole event.  It was an opportunity to milk the sympathy and demand lots of cuddles and tuna fish, as was his right of course.



So here we are, in a little hamlet in the West.  We can walk to the village shops, the Munchkin can catch a bus to school and there's nobody too close: nobody parking over the drive, nobody noising about outside in the wee hours, no incessant sirens blaring past, just oodles of lovely green space and fabulous views.



Inside, it's fair to say there is a big task ahead of us.  The house still resembles cardboard city in most areas.  Five lorries to unpack and their contents to find new homes for is quite a lot really.


Charlie Boy seemed to be having second thoughts!


We've managed to get some areas sorted though, so we can get on and enjoy ourselves here while the rest gets sorted eventually.  The view whilst taking breakfast is pretty fine.


The sitting room is one place you need to get sorted so you have somewhere comfy to flop at the end of each day, I think.  At least, Charlie Boy thinks so.  He's not at all keen on going outside and generally has a little triangular comfort zone between bed, sofa and food!


Of course, life cannot be about all work and no play.  I might have popped into some of my favourite charity shops whilst out and about getting essentials.  Couldn't resist this little lot...


Once I'd got the main rooms on their way, I could no longer stand life without some form of craftiness. It was time to commence unpacking the Den and getting sorted.  It's a tiring business, this unpacking lark, I now realise that packing up was easier!  My new Den is pretty much done now, I'll share that with you soon.  


We've been busy attending to all those jobs you need to do when you first move in.  We've quite a few chimneys here and so the sweep came to sort us out, with alarming results in the study!


Of course, we've popped out to our beloved Bridders more than a few times.  As ever, it's a rich hunting ground and with a new home to kit out, I'm pretty much in my element.  Couldn't resist this gorgeous thrifty mirror.


More shopping of the virtual variety has been taking place.  Nothing is too far away now in this modern world of the internet, is it?  Time to order bare root roses for the new garden.  Got to have some roses to cut next Summer.


I cannot lie, there has been some craftiness going on already.  I think I must have had almost a two month break from sewing so I am now raring to go again.


Ahhhh, West Country, we love you, you are all we hoped for and more.  We may be tired and have aches in our bones we didn't know existed, but it's all getting better from here on in.

Home.


61 comments:

  1. Your home looks so cozy ;) I wish you the best in your new home.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, what a beautiful setting! You will have such fun nesting and making it a home and enjoying the beautiful countryside all around you. Best of luck!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful home. You sound so at ease and so happy in your post. Best of luck in the West!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely new home !! And those surroundings!! Can't wait to see your craftroom and hope you will post some pics of the area some day !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing your move to the country, of course ~not having to pack or unpack myself makes a difference , so I enjoyed your post very much.

    Your new home is very lovely and I know you'll all love it. Thank-you for sharing the pictures of your move to your new home. ( love how the cat found the perfect place to snuggle while you all worked on ! )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you enjoy your new house. Somerset is the most glorious county with so many nice places to visit. I used to live in Clevedon, many years ago, and spent many happy hours walking and exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Hen, your new home looks absolutely wonderful! You will have so much fun making it your own! Lots of love from the Blue Lady x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you will all be very happy in your lovely new home. Having moved more times than I care to remember, I sympathise with the box problem - then you unpack everything and find you then have to deal with a mountain of folded packing boxes! Cats have really got it sussed - lie low and let everyone got on with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So peaceful and beautiful! I can't wait as you reveal the makes, the rooms and the re-do's!

    ReplyDelete
  10. belle nouvelle vie dans ce magnifique lieu de calme et de sérénité ..et sans aucun doute de créativité

    Marie Claude

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Having just moved, in fact majorly downsized, myself you have my total sympathy, it really is hard work. However, you look very settled and your new home is gorgeous, I hope you'll all be very happy there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So chuffed for you all. The views from the garden are magnificent; and what a great garden for a young lad to grow up in! Takes me back to his age where we had a bluebell wood to make 'camp' in.
    Travelled back from Plymouth last night and jjst love that train journey, such beautiful landscape.
    Have a fabulous life in your new home. Can't wait to see the new crafty den!
    Zxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hen, thank you for letting us have a peek of your new home. What a gorgeous setting and how grand to have those wonderfully large windows to let the light in and to allow you all to see the countryside while warm indoors during the coming winter.

    Yes, moving house really does expend so much energy and takes so much planning. Now though, do take you time as you and yours relax into discovering a different space. (Of course, it would be lovely for you to post a "postcard" every now and then.)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely new home and surroundings you have. We up' dandy moved from London to the seaside 3 months ago....I'm still unpacking boxes, trying to find new places for bits and pieces. A Somerset Christmas awaits you...how exciting! X

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks utterly beautiful. Hope you are very happy there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so happy for you :)) living in the country is the BEST!! What a charming olde vicarage and delightful surrounds, you'll make it home in no time. It's lovely to see Charlie Boy settling in so nicely too. Wishing you happy days ahead :)) cheers... Marian

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE it love it love it!!!! The Old Vicarage, sounds very "Midsomer". You're living my dream.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How beautiful and peaceful it looks. We were in London in August and all I could think of was that I couldn't live with the crowds, the noise, the tourists. We love the West Country and I know you'll soon have your place sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad you are settling in swiftly and enjoying Somerset. It's a great place to be ... ! M x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wish you many years of happiness in 'The Old Vicarage'. It looks like a lovely place to be. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice to see you again! Your new home looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  23. How lovely your new home looks.
    I need to move. I live in a large detached house that needs a young family to bring it back to life. But, it all looks like such a lot of hard work to move.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a lovely post - I am totally envious of your gorgeous new home and it's wonderful green surroundings. I am really looking forward to regular updates on what you get up to in your new home. Voyerism at it's best!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a fantastic adventure you are having! Maybe Charlie is a little lonely - maybe there's room enough for a little furry friend or two ..;) Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  26. nice to have you back Hen !,what a beautiful home in a beautiful place,enjoy enjoy enjoy xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Hen, pleased you are back. Living in the vicarage sounds lovely to me,a ministers wife. We move around a bit so this sounds very familiar and we are doing it again next summer. Hope you are settling in soon and find some more sewing time.☺

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, what a magical place to live! Like a storybook setting! My husband and I each read at the same time and of course we have all kinds of questions. What does your husband do for a living that you can move so far away? Will he work in the new city or commute? We moved into our farmhouse in the winter here in Oregon, USA - and in the Spring were AMAZED at all the flowers and shrubs that bloomed. You're going to love Spring! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I hope that you have a wonderful time in your new home and make lots of happy memories. It is great that you have made some time for yourself as well in all the busy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations, Helen. I wish all of you the best as you get settled in.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, I seem to have discovered your blog at the beginning of your new adventure. I love your home decor and style and the way that everything fits together so beautifully. The lead up to a house move is always stressful so now is the time to relax and enjoy your new home. It's going to be the perfect setting for a family Christmas and lots of yummy Christmas decorations. Move over Kirsty Allsop!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations on your magical move (I'm so jealous LOL) Look forward to seeing more of the tour as you get settled.

    ReplyDelete
  33. So lovely to see your post pop up in my email box, great to have you back. I got it wrong I presumed you were moving to your cottage lol. Your bed home looks wonderful and I'm sure you'll soon put your stamp on it. Oh gosh all those removal vans, I'm surprised you've got as much done as you have, what a great play area for your little man. I wish you all the happiness your heart can hold in your new home, I'm looking forward to seeing your new creations.
    Peg x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Welcome to the West Country :) So glad Charlie Boy is settling in xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lovely post and congratulations on your move. It is a beautiful part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  36. The West Country is great isn't it! I love it here, the best thing we did nearly thirty years ago, from Essex.
    Looking forward to reading about your new adventures
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  37. Moving is such hard work but worth it in the end. I thought we were bad to have 2 removal lorries but you had 5!! Packing isn't easy, you have to be careful and it pays to label well. But you know that everyhting has to be packed (or got rid of some way). Unpacking is different as you have to work out where everything has to go in the new house. Looks like you're really settling in already. I am sure you will love living in the countryside. I don't think I could ever go back to living in a city.

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a beautiful home! I'm thrilled that you're so happy in your new home, I can't wait to read all about your adventures xxx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your new home looks wonderful and can't wait to hear more about your new adventures.

    Victoria x
    FlorenceandMary.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. Sigh...well done! Must be such a relief to be there and getting the new house sorted. Good to see all the family enjoying the new environment.Allegedly we exchange this week...don't hold your breath!x

    ReplyDelete
  41. Happy New Home to you all!! So happy you are happy with your move! The West Country has my vote for the best place to be! Enjoy - and don't tire yourself too much!! J9x

    ReplyDelete
  42. I hope you will be happy in your new home. It looks lovely. And, oh the view!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hope you will be really happy in your new home . Thank you for sharing it with us . Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi, I love your craft, is beauty, I love a colors, I follow your blog, hugs from Brazil.
    Visit my blog - Tita Carré - free patterns crochet

    ReplyDelete
  45. Happy new home, it looks dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  46. That does look like a country dream :)
    I was surprised that you've moved just as you'd got the house and cottage all sorted to your taste and now have to start again - I wouldn't like that much but perhaps you enjoy that sort of challenge! I also wondered if you have given up the cottage now that you have a larger house in that area?
    It does look beautiful and I wish you and your family (people and cat!) much good fortune in your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Somehow, looking at the photos I just knew it was a Vicarage... they have beautiful proportions these old ones don't they? Country living isn't to everyone's taste, many prefer the hustle and bustle and noise and life of living in a town or city. But, even though I was born in a Northern City, I've never lived in one and love, love the country village life. I'm sure you'll love it even more as time goes on, so best of luck to you three, plus floosie cat (no doubt there will be more sometime!).

    ReplyDelete
  48. Wishing you and your family every happiness in your lovely new home, Hen! So glad the move went well and you are already getting settled. What a lovely place to live!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  49. It looks gorgeous Hen. It's so lovely seeing you make it a home with all your lovely bits. Can't wait to visit!! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh my, that is a truly gorgeous house! Are you in a similar area to that of your cottage?

    ReplyDelete
  51. Wishing you and your family much happiness in your lovely new home. Looking forward to hearing more about it. x

    ReplyDelete
  52. Wishing you all the best in your new home. It looks beautiful.
    Please pop over to my blog with some amazing ideas for things to make with vintage patchwork! I was looking for a search button on your blog so I could look and see what you've done in the past but I can't see one.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Absolutely stunning. Every last bit of it. I wish you well as you get settled in your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Congratulations Hen! New beginnings! Lil x

    ReplyDelete
  55. Just lovely. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Oh my goodness I am in heaven looking at your new house. I know you will be very happy in such a lovely setting. Your young man must be in his element with that tree house and garden, so many wonderful years ahead in the wonderful English countryside. Glad to see you are back at the machine! Your creations look right in the Vicarage.............................

    ReplyDelete
  57. Oh Mrs Hen, I thought you had gone from blogland. Love your new sweet house and good to see that it took next to no time for Charlie boy to settle in.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I do hope you are happy in your new home, I know that it will be a bit of a change from London.

    I, too, miss the Stag and Bow mornings now that I am back in France...

    Penny
    x

    ReplyDelete
  59. I do hope you are happy in your new home, I know that it will be a bit of a change from London.

    I, too, miss the Stag and Bow mornings now that I am back in France...

    Penny
    x

    ReplyDelete
  60. Belated good wishes for your new home - I hope you are enjoying It and I'm sure you've made it very homely with lots of "Hen" touches. It looks beautiful. 😀

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X