Wednesday, 24 December 2014

Christmas at The Old Vicarage
















Well, here we are, another Christmas and it feels quite a momentous one.  This time last year, moving to the West Country was just a pipe dream.  Here we are, we've really made it.  Sometimes, we need to squeeze ourselves to make sure it is real.  It now feels less like a holiday and more like home.

I'd have loved to have brought you a really well planned Christmas post with lots of carefully taken photos of the house and its decorations but I just haven't had the opportunity this year.  I have managed to snatch shots on my 'phone here and there and those, I'm more than happy to share.  We've managed to put up a nice big tree and a little one in the kitchen.  A lot of my time has been spent in here, whether painting the old dresser we bought, baking yummy treats to eat or making hampers as gifts.

Family and friends have been to stay and see our new home, it has been lovely to welcome them; this house has a super, warm feel and is perfect for gatherings.  I've also worked hard on getting a guest room into some sort of order; it needs to be decorated properly, but for now, I've just tried to work my magic with painted thrifty furniture, handmade cushions and pictures, and Mr HenHouse has been my right hand man with his tool bag, making it all happen.

We've managed to get out and about a fair bit, too:  we stayed in Bath one weekend to visit the shops and Christmas Market; the Munchkin's school marked the end of term with a beautiful carol service in the stunning Sherborne Abbey; we've popped out to see some of Somerset's reindeers (though they were tired from pulling the sleigh it seems!); finally, this morning, it was so good to visit Bridport and collect all my Christmas meat and groceries from shops we've grown to know and love.  Nothing beats having a natter with the locals, we're now on first name terms.  I couldn't resist the wonderful vintage Christmas annual from one of the market stalls.  We've topped everything off with a visit to the local church this afternoon for the crib service, well it seemed about time we introduced ourselves as the new custodians of the Old Vicarage!

All that remains is for me to wish you all a truly wonderful Christmas.  Thank you for reading along with me, I hope all your wildest dreams come true.

Xxx

29 comments:

  1. Well Hen.. your life seems like a story from a novel! I love it all and thanks for showing us some photos of your wonderful new/old home. I look forward to more photos and stories in the coming year.

    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
    *M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas in your new home. looking forward to seeing more photos of it

    All things nice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sending Season's Greetings to Somerset from New Zealand. Have a wonderful time!.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Christmas Hen. Your new home looks very Christmassy indeed. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your new house is truly becoming a home. It is absolutely lovely and if you must know, you had me at the trifle! Yummy!

    Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous pictures of your home as always - have a great Christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy your first Christmas at the Old Vicarage Hen - it looks and sounds wonderful. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas and an awesome new year, hope to see you in your gorgeous home soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a lovely Christmas in your new home, it looks very cosy! Love Anna

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks beautiful, hope you all have a wonderful Xmas. Natalie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merry Christmas! I love the photos of your home and especially your beautiful tree. I hope you all have a wonderful day! Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely photos! Hope that you all have had a super day! Save me some rocky road pretty please! Love The Blue Lady x

    ReplyDelete
  14. so pleased to hear you made the move, nothing beats country life

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello have wandered here via Teresa's blog. I love your Christmas photographs. Happy Christmas . Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  16. The photos as always are beautiful, so pleased you're settling in. We moved into our present home New Years eve 1976, people thought we were totally mad, we didn't like the house we were in at all. Although the neighbors were fine the area had a horrible depressing atmosphere around it. These houses were brand new, the trouble was the central heating pump was broken so it was really cold and smelled of paint, we had three young children 10, 8 and 4 yrs of age. We couldn't get hold of the builders the council emergency wouldn't help but various people from our church and a couple of other churches soon arrived with portable heaters, hot water bottles and in the case of one lady a wonderful smelling beef casserole. We had to wait for 5 days for the builders and plumbers to come and put a new one in, not a good start you may say but we love living here, our neighbor moved in to next door on Jan 8th with hubby and 2 young children. I still love it here, my neighbor is still there, like us her fledglings have fled the nest.
    I hope your Christmas has been as pleasant as ours, we had lunch here yesterday with my daughter and family then went to her house for supper. Today we've been to my eldest sons and spent a lovely time with them, I'm shattered but a pleasant shattered. My youngest son and family called us from Florida, they're there to see their daughter who is working for 6 months there as part of her uni course.
    Another Christmas been and gone, the weather is promising snow here in the middle of the UK, it's certainly cold, I am so glad I'm not a queing for sales person I'm not that dedicated lol.

    I hope 2015 is a splendid year for you and I look forward as ever to your posts.

    Peg x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Magical pics.Great blog.Happy Winter Solstice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous pics. Love the guest bedroom. I hope you have a lovely time in your beautiful new home.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful as always. May you have happy times and lots of fun in your dream house. Hope you had a lovely Christmas and the best of times in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful home...so cozy and inviting! Love seeing all the pictures. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just got back from Christmas away with sons and daughter-in-laws and my dad.
    What lovely pictures of your Christmas home
    Happy New Year
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy new year Hen. Well done for making your dreams a reality. I'm so happy to see your move and home making - and of course your cheery zest for life. Take care, J9 x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your blog! Your home is so beautiful, cozy and enchanting. I look forward to popping in again.
    Wishing you many blessings for the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for sharing these lovely moments of your Christmas home with us.
    I wish you to spend many many more lovely Christmasses and Years in your new house.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR !!
    From a snowy Athens, Greece,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely pictures . Have a very happy 2015 x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wishing you all the best for 2015. Love your blog, and so enjoy the catch up on all things crafty and vintage. Loving the latest pics of your new home. Wishing you all the very best wishes in your new home and for the future xxx.

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X