Friday, 9 January 2015

Spooltastic!

Happy New Year, readers.  I feel a little late to the party (nine days to be precise) but the sentiment is true, none the less.



This week here at The Old Vicarage, Mr HenHouse has been busy decorating the sitting room.  I will help him when it gets to the painting but the sanding is his domain.  I therefore found myself with a little very welcome time on my hands, I even found time to look at a favourite magazine. (Issue Seventeen.)


There was a particular project which caught my eye.


Spooltastic!

I wanted to make some thank you cards for friends and hmm, maybe I might whip up a few goodies, too.

I attacked the scrap drawers.  I wanted bright, I needed colourful!  I hunted out spots, dots, stripes, checks.  Ditsy flowers here and there, lots of easy and oh so enjoyable piecing.


Combined with a bit of linen to make the tops and bottoms, the spools began to emerge.  Just like old fashioned Sylko!  I made a little variation with the square-ended spools to jazz things up a bit.


I added a spot of simple embroidery with perle cottons, choosing to add a line of co-ordinating coloured running stitch to outline the top and bottom of each spool.  I also added the word "SYLKO" to the middle spool of each set.  I just write this on freehand with an air-erasable pen.  Cute!

Before too long, the spools were finished and it was time to attach them to a string to make the bunting.  I hunted in my stash to find a suitable bit of tape.


I didn't have enough for both sets (it's rare the stash is defeated!) so I set out to track down some more.  I can report that Hobbycraft has a good selection, pretty cheap, too.  


I made one set incorporating flower power 1960's florals combined with crazy spots by Kaffe Fasset.



Whilst pondering all things spooly and Sylko, and having been reading my vintage mags this week, I wanted to show you the fabulous adverts in them I've always loved.

Each issue had a different advert with fabulous artwork.  I love the one with the escalator.  These are from the late 1930s, early 1940s.


During the wartime years and beyond, in time of paper shortage, magazines were published less frequently and generally in a smaller format.  The advert on the reverse was not necessarily different every time but always colourful and artistic.  You can spot the references to "make do and mend".


The bunting finished, it was time to see how it would look.


The backdrop is a bit too distracting.

There, that's better.


I made the other set using modern fabrics, in a retro style.


I enjoyed making them, I loved selecting and piecing the fabrics,  though I generally dislike working with linen as it has such a loose weave so I think it is difficult to achieve a perfect shape with the spool ends.  Next time, I'll use a stiffer plain cotton fabric which looks like linen, I think.  I also didn't like the fact that the instructions were to embroider the spools once the backing was already sewn on.  This means you can see your embroidery on the plain reverse and although I did my very best to be neat and I suppose it's not on display, it offends my neat and tidy nature!  So maybe there are a few modifications to try next time.

They're all tied up and ready to be posted.


I hope they're well received!
Enjoy your weekend.
Xxx

31 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you too, Hen!
    As always, a joy to see pictures of your beautifully made makes.
    Zxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bunting is so pretty! It looks lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, so love this post Hen. Full of colour, creativity, and vintage interest. Just what I need on this blustery night. Big thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bunting is lovely - your colour and pattern selection so pretty. I have a soft spot for vintage advertising too, your collection is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love them,and your thread storage,I look forward to reading your posts and seeing your house and life in a style you love and enjoy ☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely post. That spool
    bunting is marvellous! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a treat for my eyes! One you have a vintage Sylko box just like mine! Second I could get onto your blog for so long I have been unable to visit! The spool bunting is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look great. Perhaps the embroidery was to give a quilted look..........?
    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. They turned out lovely! Your sewing room is looking gorgeous...many a happy hour will be spent in there! Sarah xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so pretty, I think I will have to make myself some I certainly have plenty of scraps. U think your friend will be very impressed. Ps love the Sylko drawers. Have been eyeing some of these up for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that magazine as well. I think your modifications to the spools look very good. I have recently lost my partner, Ivan. He died suddenly on 29th December, and I have been trying to keep myself busy to cope. I have inherited his massive computer desk which is slowly being turned into a sewing station, but it is so huge that it dominates the living room. Looking at your spool bunting I think I will make some as well and hang it off the leading edge of the desk so it looks more welcoming. Thank you for your posts, I look forward to reading them and they always make me feel happy, even now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've got to make some of these for my sewing room! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!!! What a marvelous post!!! The adverts are amazing! I could have an entire room of them in frames.....I would love to know about the artist....and the bunting is so beautiful.....
    What a great way to use scraps! You are amazing....
    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year to you too, Hen! My goodness, if I was the lucky recipient of one of those I'd be well chuffed; I reckon they will certainly be well received. I know what you mean about those adverts, as I have a few of those in my magazine collection too. In fact, sometimes I prefer looking at the adverts more than the copy! P.S. Your Sylko drawers are a lot more organised than mine; you've inspired me to tidy up mine now - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loving the spool bunting! (putting it on my list of things to make.....).xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another pretty project!
    I have never heard of Sylko thread before: is that an English make?

    Jenn@JennsCraftyWorld

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, how very clever. I wish I had the patience to make something like that. I have often thought about attempting some sewing projects (I quite fancy trying to make myself an apron), but never quite get round to it. I feel very inspired by this post!
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  18. lovely idea Hen, i have loads of scrappy bits so will give this a go, thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm pretty certain your gifts will be very well received they're beautiful and I think people are leaning more to handmade gifts. Love the colour combinations.

    Peg x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I find it fascinating that the first ad shows a woman's gloved hand. Then the ads with airplanes--because of the war? Then the exotic with the Bedoin (perhaps?) on camel. I suspect that has to do with the popularity of Lawrence of Arabia. Nice spool buntings!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my they are sure to be very well received I imagine a bit of squealing may take place. Beautiful creations xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your bunting it's very cute and I have to say .... I have massive fabric envy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love EVERYTHING in this post!! The bunting, the drawers of thread, your wonderful fabric collection. Everything!!! Great job, I am sure that your friend will love these! xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOVE the bunting! Have that mag so might give it a whirl. So in love with your sewing room. So many lovely things in it and so spacious. Out of curiosity where did you get your little paper figures? X

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a cute Bunting!! Another fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great idea and the bunting looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  27. They really do look beautiful. Some very lucky friends. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello,
    I have just found your truly beautiful blog & am enjoying going through your older posts. You do some really beautiful work, it is such a joy to me to see all you have made.
    I have added you to my side bar so I do not miss a post.
    Enjoy your day.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my...I just love the spool bunting....you're so clever!!!xxx

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X