Friday, 27 February 2015

Little Squares

Hello readers, welcome from a sunny West Country.  Apologies for what has been an unintentionally long absence but we have been hard at it with the renovations so I really would have been asking you to watch paint dry!

We've just had half term here and my friend Erin came to stay with us as she is a teacher so we usually see her in the school holidays.    Hurrah!  This is a good excuse for me to laze around crafting and as the weather was not too great some of the time, we were quite hermit-like in our behaviour.  We welcomed Erin with a little afternoon tea.




Otherwise, we spent our time either in the newly decorated sitting room with crochet or knitting in hand...


Or, predictably, in the Den.


I finally had the time to make something that has been in the back of my mind for a long time.  I wanted to cut lots of little 2" squares and I wanted cute, sugary, ditsy patterns.  1930's repos it is then.   The fabric needed to be easy care and washable hence going for modern instead of vintage fabric. You see, in between all the painting and decorating, I have still managed to add the odd bits of fabric to my stash.  With a little nudge from yours truly, Mr HenHouse gifted me this divine fat quarter bundle for Christmas.  Trouble was, could I bring myself to cut into it?  Yikes.



It seemed I could and after a few happy hours, my fabric buffet emerged.  I like to have plenty to choose from, the left overs can always be used for another project another time.


Over to the Featherweight then for some lovely piecing.  Oh happy days!


Bizarrely, my project soon finished, it necessitated poor old Mr HenHouse taking the kitchen table outside for a much-needed re-sand of the top!


Et Voil√†.  You may recall I made some place mats in this style a few years back.  They have been much used and washed and still look mighty fine.  I fancied a table runner which I could use all the time for the middle of our pine kitchen table.  We now have a lovely dining room (kitchen/diner) which has a very large run of windows with fabulous views so we are often to be found at that very pine table which sits in front of the window.



When we were looking for a new home, we considered a property which had the most wonderful original Victorian kitchen.  We decided the house wasn't otherwise right for us but the kitchen had me hooked.  It had two runs of very large original pine dressers and I set my little heart on a similar dresser with sliding glass doors.  Well blow me if we didn't walk past an antiques shop that was about to open up in a local town soon after moving and spy just the thing through the window.  I knocked on the window, a quick measure up at home later and the dresser was ours!  A tad orange at that stage but no matter.  Mr HenHouse shifted it into the garage to start the de-oranging process.


Not a fun job but it was soon ready for painting which is where I came in.  I chose colours we will likely use when we have the kitchen revamped (namely F&B Wimborne White and Skimming Stone).


We're really pleased with the transformation and although it required a goodly amount of elbow grease, it was a lot cheaper than buying a quality new counterpart from a kitchen company and we have the added bonus of knowing it is an original used and loved piece.

It was sadly a bit of a gloomy day when I took these pictures but it did at least present an excuse to put the fairy lights on!


Cheerio for now.
Xxx

38 comments:

  1. You have a beautiful home! I love those beautiful big windows!

    The table runner is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to see your new post on my blog, I love catching up with what you have been doing.
    Your afternoon tea looks beautiful, I love clotted cream & your tea cosy is wonderful. I am in to knitting vintage 40's tea cosy's at the moment, a fun little project to do.
    Your new dresser turned out beautiful, such work but worth it. I love your runner too, very spring like.
    Enjoy your day, hope you have some sunshine like we do in Lincolnshire.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work! Kitchen and patchwork table runner ! Sweet fabric.
    Hugs from Serbia,
    Cale

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Wow! Love the dresser. Love your rooms, and the table-runner is gorgeous. I know what you mean about cutting into special fabrics, I cannot bring myself to do it sometimes, but this year I have plans for my stashed fabrics and WILL be cutting into the fabrics, one piece is 6yds of Liberty print about thirty old! My plans will come into fruition soon!
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything is looking just beautiful so far! Can't wait to see photos of all the redo's!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such great fun going on at your place! The new kitchen piece is FAB! And your sewing room too! Reminds me of my sewing room, which I set up in our never used living room. Oh that tea had my mouth watering!!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dresser re-do is stunning! Thanks for inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new home is so beautiful! And the new kitchen cabinet turned out just lovely. I love how Mr. Hen House finished the table top. The table sets off your new runner so well. And the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Missed your posts so much, so glad your back!!! I love your sight and much prefer your blog to Instagram although I realise IG is quicker, but I can't see the pics as well. Love the runner, how big were the squares and what a lovely pressie from hubby, where is the fabric from? Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to see you back blogging. I love your runner, and very impressed at how neat and tidy your matching corners is. I have recently had a go at cheats patchwork, where you lay out the little squares on a piece of fusible interfacing that has been marked out into a grid pattern, iron them in place and then fold each line over and stitch. Thus getting perfectly matched corners :) Your dresser is very beautiful as well. Love the colour you have painted it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I am in love with your home, your table runner and your dining room furniture. Everything is my style. Beautiful! Your dinning room with the wonderful bright windows . . . not sure if it is the same table and space where you have your sewing machine . . . but what glorious light coming in, absolutely stunning :) Have a lovely week and thanks for the delightful peek into your home:)
    Connie:)
    p.S. I love your top with the double-decker buses, too, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the sweet, sugary colours of your runner. Everything you make is so lovely. You both did a great job on the dresser: it is nice to reclaim something isn't it? You have to wonder how many dinners and dishes that dresser has seen. Now for the next one hundred years!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh you had me worried for a while. Lovely to read your post and as usual a delight. Dresser looks fab and your table runner gorgeous, loving the fabrics used. Looks like you both had such a cosy, crafty time. Have wonderful to have a crafting buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning furniture to match your sweet table runner.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, what a super job on the dresser, just love giving old furniture a revamp, well done to Mr. Hen. As for your lovely table runner, just the ticket. Fab fabric!!! Take care Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a sweet little table runner! Love the finish on the table top also. Isn't it nice to have a handy husband?

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's wonderful to see how much fun you're having in your new home. I just want to see more photos.. more more more! I must admit, all my antique furniture is varnished wood and I kind of cringed at painting that gorgeous old pine cabinet.. but I also do admire the white furniture, too. Enjoy your old parsonage. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You made a lovely job of the dresser.....and the little patchwork is so cute.......ciao Alison

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's always a good day when you post--thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely to read your news. Your dresser is beautiful and you must be so pleased with the results

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your blog posts always brighten up my day :) Beautiful dresser and lovely table-runner!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your blog posts always brighten up my day! Beautiful dresser and lovely table-runner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good day to you all....Chris and I drooled over the first picture!!!
    We're about to pop off for a walk.....I'll be back later for a proper read....xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. All the hard work was certainly worth it, the dresser is beautiful in situ, Mr hen is a hell of an asset! x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your dresser is wonderful. I have an old pine dresser which I'd love to revamp but every time I think of all the work it would involve I change my mind and leave it as it is! One day ........!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Please can I come for a cup of tea and a slice of lemon drizzle cake in your kitchen? It just looks so lovely and beautiful, I want to move in!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your little patchwork runner is adorable! And oh that fabric! Yum Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Both dresser and mat are gorgeous!!! Your kitchen must be a lovely place to spend time in - it looks as though your crafting room is a great place to be too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely post as always . That fat quarter bundle is the best ever and your dresser is lovely too x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Id lobve to be invited for afternoon tea at your house :)
    The dresser and table look lovely. I need a Mr Hen House at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love your country home! Love 30s fabric, too! Beautiful table runner. Greetings from Poplar Bluff, Mo. We had 8 inches of snow last week, and are expecting 6 to 8 inches more on Wednesday! Can't wait til spring! I l8ve reading your blog!
    wigglypup2 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your runner is so lovely and really sets off the newly sanded table. You were so fortunate to find the dresser. It looks fantastic all painted up and adorned with fairy lights.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a wonderful stay it was too. We must get discussing the next one soon! Love the table runner, such pretty fabrics x

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a lovely post. Now that is what I call a 'den'/workroom/stashroom ?! I have den envy! That kitchen looks like it will be flooded with sunshine very soon. Your posts just make my day

    ReplyDelete
  35. Absolutely love how you can see through the furniture for the end result. Could I ask what paint you used for the dresser as I have a (much smaller) dresser project that I've had in the garage waiting for some kind of transformation and at a loss for what to use for a professional finish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      The paint is Farrow and Ball, Wimborne White for the exterior and Skimming Stone for the interior, in an oil eggshell finish. F&B no longer make an oil-based eggshell so our paint shop mixes it up for us in Crown or Leyland. Hope that helps. xxx

      Delete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X