Sunday, 31 May 2015

Talent for Textiles

Here we are, the last day of May already.  Just how exactly did that happen?  We've fitted so much into this month even though the weather has been a deep disappointment.  Well, you know how obsessed us Brits are with the weather!

I've shown you before, pictures taken when I've been to the Talent for Textiles fairs here in the West Country.  I've been to the one in Ilminster several times but a few weeks ago, it was being held in a different venue further over into Dorset.  It seemed like a good excuse for a jolly.

We headed to Wimborne which we had heard was a pretty market town.  Finding the venue, or rather the parking, proved to be interesting (there's a separate postcode for the car park, we later found out!) However, undeterred, we arrived at Dean's Court where things were in full swing.



Before entering the grounds proper, we discovered a delightful little shop and cafe, all part of the Dean's Court experience, known as The Squash Court.  I fell head over heels swoony-in-love with the little potager-style garden.  That beehive!  Those foxgloves!





Inside, the shop did not disappoint either.  You may recognise it, as it has been featured before in magazines such as Country Living.


On through the secret garden style entrance and Dean's Court stood before us.  Pretty fine, too.  It is still a private home, handed down through generations, and now operates as a wedding venue.  The gardens are also open to the public.


For me though, the draw was the fair which was taking place over on the far lawn inside a marquee.  The setting was pretty idyllic and tables and chairs had been set out along the riverside behind the marquee where one could sit and eat the yummy cakes also on offer.


Inside, there were lots of pretty displays to treat the eyes and tempt the purse.  My experience of the Talent for Textiles fairs is that they are not large but they are generally very good quality.  Unlike the fair in Ilminster, which is free to get in, entry to this one cost £5.  Hmm.

I selected a few pretty goodies carefully, fabric being the main draw, of course, and also enjoyed catching up with many of the dealers who I would now class as friends.





Afterwards, we headed off to find Wimborne Antiques Centre which I previously had heard about.  This also took some finding and I'm sorry to say was the worst antiques centre I've ever set foot in!  It would have been a complete waste of time had I not spied a single lonely old chair, resplendent in original ointment pink chippy paint.  Gasp.  It had to come home.  That was the best £7 I've spent in a long time!  I couldn't help piling my newly-homed fabrics on the seat and admiring it at length!



Talking of all things pink and pretty, this little lot represents some of my spoils from the rather fabulous Vintage Bazaar jumble sale which was held in Frome recently.  Well worth a visit if you can make the next one, there were some genuine bargains on offer.  (A visit to The Washerwoman's blog will let you know when this takes place.)


My other favourite purchase in Wimborne at Dean's Court was this dear little embroidered pouch for holding embroidery silks.  I have a weakness for old 1930s/'40s embroidery as you know and there is no better combination than flowers and lettering, I think.  I have similar pouches for stockings, night gowns, gloves and knitting pins. I am going on an embroidery workshop in the Summer and I am looking forward to taking this beauty with me.  I filled it with some interesting linen threads I also bought at the fair.


That's where I will love you and regrettably leave you today, readers.  Until next time...
Xxx

14 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great time. I can recommend the Liz's fairs (The Washerwoman) They are well organised.
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we had fairs like this where I live. Wow! I adore that new chair, what a fabulous find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so lucky to have such wonderful places to visit! We are meeting a man today to buy 40 pond snails.. isn't that exciting? Supposedly they will eat the algae in our koi pond. Have fun on your trip! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely surprise to see a new post from your lovely self. Can you remember who was the dealer with the duck egg paisley quilted fabric/quilt? I am desperate for some of that colour for my new/old duck egg bedroom?? By the way I love your chair makes the venture to a disappointing place worthwhile. Love oyur purchase especially the lovely floral in the left hand top corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, that was my friend Sue Meager's stall. She is on Facebook and IG.
      Xxx

      Delete
    2. I wrote a reply bu not sure if it's in the pipeline or disappeared (b***y phone). Alchamillamolly I remember you from my Vintage to Victorian blog

      Delete
  5. I love all those pink things in your photos! I also wish there were fairs like that where I live - all the good things seem to be in the South or East Anglia. There's always lots going on in Suffolk and Norfolk when I visit my son and his family but around here - zilch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hen, as a late afternoon thunderstorm approaches NYC, darkening the sky, it was a treat to read about your latest treasure hunting experiences. Those fabrics, and the haberdashery displays would definitely have drawn me closer. You also did well to rescue that chair...it's got great bones.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing your purchases, especially the vintage textiles. And that sewing silks pouch .... Oh WOW!!! Your pink chair would've had to have come home with me too I think :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely things! Especially the pouch for sewing silks, that really is lovely isn't it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my! I just swoon over your lovely posts! So refreshing to open my email and find something from you there. Thank you for sharing, and God bless! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful write-up Hen! I am in love with the pretty pink chair, what a fab find! Lizzie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS - and thank you to Julie (above) for your kind comment about my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do love reading your posts and seeing all the amazing things you make and buy. That chair is pretty, I'm glad you found something like that in such a bad antiques centre. At least it wasn't a total waste of time. For some reason we never seem to have these kind of fairs here in Kent. It's crying out for someone to take the bit between the teeth and arrange some but I simply wouldn't know where to start :(

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X