Friday, 28 August 2015

A Cornish Getaway

Reader, it's been a very long time.  Let's not dwell on the why and just get on with catching up.

I can't believe the very long school Summer holiday is nearly over but it is.  Rewinding back to early July, we found ourselves packing up Delilah Disco and heading across the border, two to be precise, a little deeper into the wondrous West Country.  We were heading for somewhere I'd long since wanted to visit, namely a magical little place called Trevoole in Cornwall.


Trevoole is a little cluster of old stone buildings centred around a traditional farmhouse with a large barn converted into two further dwellings and numerous outbuildings along with pretty sprawling gardens.  Trevoole has previously featured in Country Living magazine and I have drooled over its pages.  Now was our turn.

Both the farmhouse and one portion of the barn are available to rent on a self-catering basis.  The farmhouse was under renovation so we found ourselves in Primrose Cottage for the week but both are equally picture book, comfy and cosy.


It does feel as if you have stepped back in time when you stay at Trevoole.  The owners spent many years renovating the buildings to a superb standard and collecting all manner of fabulous vintage goodies.


The owner's side of the barn...


The farmhouse...


The interiors of the buildings have been furnished with much care and attention to detail.  It is clear it has been created with love and also with flair that money cannot buy.  Yet nothing looks contrived and everything works.  I fell in love with the farmhouse kitchen.  I can't really imagine a more perfect room from its 1930s solid fuel AGA to its fabulous old dresser and those gorgeous Colefax and Fowler Bowood curtains.


Upstairs, the cosy bedrooms are a delight with original wooden floorboards, feather-leaking eiderdowns (just as they should be) and Enid Blyton books waiting to indulge one's flights of fantasy.




Travis, the owner, was kind enough to show us round his own home and we were wowed by the effect in the library which is a circular room, once thought to be a threshing barn now furnished with a nod to hunting prints and the books colour coded with delightful vintage lettered spines.  Everything has been created from scratch, the wood panelling for example is made from cut-down doors.


The pièce de resistance for an old fabrocoholic such as myself?  The little laundry room in the farmhouse.  


There are no words.  Pick that chin up off the floor!



Outside, there is still much to explore at Trevoole.  The garden keeps going and going and we would round a corner and find yet another outbuilding, lovingly repurposed into maybe a potting shed, a little shop, even a café.



There was a gorgeous kitchen garden complete with active beehive.



And a Morris Minor Traveller, of course!



Trevoole is in a little stage of transition at the moment.  Its owners having gone their separate ways, it is now still owned by Travis who has been hands on in its transformation for the past thirteen odd years.  The quaint tearoom and shop is closed at the moment while he finds his feet but here's hoping that one day, it will be back up and running.


I couldn't imagine a more lovely spot and if you find yourself looking for a special place to getaway, I can't recommend Trevoole highly enough.  It's a magical place we have felt privileged to visit.  I'm hoping we will be back.


26 comments:

  1. Wow! what a wonderful place. My chin fell on the floor just looking at the photo of fabrics. The Aga looks wonderful, did you cook on it? The whole place looks a delight
    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous place...everything, every room just perfect

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks gorgeous there . Could spend hours in that fabric store !! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a place I would love to stay a spell. The AGA so many in England love and enjoy has been my dream stove, oven, etc. for years and maybe one day I will own one. Being able to see my dream stove in it's perfect environ ( here) only intensifies my desire for one.

    I very much enjoyed and appreciate this post. Thank-you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I'm going to have to research staying here. Thanks for sharing your experience x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to hear from you Hen! It looks idyllic! Haven't bumped into you for ages, hope that your are loving life in Somerset full time! Love The Blue Lady xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really thrilled you're back, missed your writing. What a very special place this is, lots of ooohing and ahhing from me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That fabric and the drapes are to die for! A fairy tale spot for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely place to spend a holiday and get away from it all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this place and would be so excited to visit. Thank you for showing us because living in America I may never actually see it in person.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely! Thank you for sharing about it here and hoping Travis will be able to fulfill his dream of reopening the part that is closed. My heart went out to him when I read that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a fabutastic place, I live in central london and dream of eascaping the madness to a lovely place with eiderdowns and coal fires - what an amazing spot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Indeed it looks like stepping back in time. I hope Travis finds a new partner to help with his endeavor. I invite you to visit my blog as I posted many photos of our last trip - camping in our caravan at our beautiful lake high in the alpine mountains of Oregon, USA. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So much charm overload in this location! That AGA is to die for, and the fabric room...OMG...and the outdoors...WOW...
    I always look forward to your posts and catch up to what you and your family are up to!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful place to stay!!! I hope you had a wonderful time! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have just shown me where I would love for my husband and myself to visit on our fiftieth wedding anniversary in three years. This would fulfill my dream of what I imagine England to be like and it looks like a quiet, peaceful, beautiful place to celebrate an anniversary. I am so happy you are back. I was worried about you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hen, you certainly found a delightful topic for this return to blogging. Your holiday destination does seem filled with charm, and one can only wonder at the effort that has gone into creating this place.

    Yes, let's hope that the pause in this wonder will be short and that all can go forward with joy...and steady progress. I remember back in the 1970s when I lived in a part of Brooklyn where young couples were buying 1840 era brownstone houses and attempting sensitive restoration projects. Many marriages did not last through the restorations. Some did. Nowaways, the "old" neighborhood is millionaire's row, but few of those couples still dwell there. Another example of dreams and reality.

    Best wishes to you and yours. xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. So please you are back. I looked at Instagram to find you but the picture quality is fuzzy, is this just me? The pics of your holiday look amazing. Thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  19. So pleased you are back. I even checked Instagram to find you yesterday but the picture quality is fuzzy, maybe this is just me? Holiday pics look fab. X

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Hen - what a wonderful place. It looks like a house out of Swallows and Amazons. It hasn't been 'done up' and looks like a real home.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's delightful. I have wanted to go there for such a long time having seen so many photo's of it, maybe in a few years it is such a drive from Lincolnshire. Loved all your photos as always.
    Enjoy your new furry friends, I am so happy & excited for you and your family.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really enjoyed your photos of a truly lovely place. To get the cafe up and running would make it perfect I think.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my gosh, how beautiful! So much eye candy here to dwell on, thanks for sharing ! phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello there - I have just stumbled upon your site and I love it! I live in Cornwall and like to blog about the county and my own projects, etc. and I'm so excited when I see Cornwall through your eyes - despite my family and I being born and bred here, there are still so many places we haven't discovered yet - like Trevoole! I especially like the look of the cottage gardens... Anyway, I am off now to read some of your other posts about your inspiring quilting and your own cottage. Nice to meet you! Best Wishes, Dawn.

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X