Monday, 31 August 2015


On our way down to our holiday in Cornwall, we decided to pop in on a National Trust property and that was Lanhydrock.  It is a vast and sprawling estate with quite a walk from the car park to the house (with golf buggies for the less able) but it is a pleasant stroll and helps to get you in the mindset of the people who must have enjoyed living here many years ago.  The house inside is now presented as if it was in the early 1900s.

Although the building is essentially very old, being Jacobean, a devastating fire meant that it was largely rebuilt in the late Victorian era.

I took oodles of photos inside but you were understandably not allowed to use a flash and it was a gloomy day so apologies if the photos are a little dark.

What we really loved about Lanhydrock is that the NT have staged it as if the family is still in residence.  So as you can see, the table in the dining room is set ready for dinner.  This really helped bring the visit alive.  Sometimes when you visit these old houses, it can all seem a little remote.

There were a lot of rooms to see in this house which was also a plus and it was not too busy on the day of our visit.  Although many formal rooms were on show, my favourites tend to be those with a more down-to-earth feel.  I therefore loved the nursery and school room and the Nanny's bedroom with its stunning handmade quilt.

The lady of the house's boudoir was pretty special, though.  In true Victorian style, a lot of the rooms were quite colourful and sometimes dark in their decor but this space was like a breath of fresh air, light and bright.  Again, seeing all the little personal effects on display was a really positive experience for me.

I think I would have liked being the mistress of Lanhydrock very much.

My absolute favourite part of this house tour however, and yes I have saved the best for last, was looking round the kitchens.  I am really interested in interiors styling and kitchens in particular and those of the Victorian/Edwardian era tend to be my favourite.

What was so incredible at Lanhydrock was that there was not just a grand kitchen, or even the addition of a pantry, but a whole series of rooms.  Oh my!

The main kitchen was a very large room with an extremely high ceiling.  It was difficult to take a photo of it in its entirety, both because of the scale and because there were quite a lot of visitors in this room.  What is it that makes kitchens so fascinating?

I was drooling madly over all the beautiful pots, pans and utensils on display.  I see pieces like these on stalls at antiques fairs such as Shepton Mallet and am always tempted.

The cabinetry itself was also stunning, the quality palpable as you would expect from the Victorians but also immensely practical.  It struck me how today's kitchen styles still hark back heavily to this era.

On from the kitchen to various rooms such as the scullery, pantry, bakehouse and dairy.  Marvellous.

This room was my favourite.  I forget what its official name was but it had me swooning.  I was in here a long time and I took lots of photos of all the detailing for when the time comes to have our own kitchen refitted.  From the cupboards to the labelled jars to the jam tarts, it was perfection to me.

Onwards to yet another room, we started to wonder just when the kitchen tour would end.

In fact, it ended in the cheese room which was utterly jaw dropping with its central marble slab complete with water connection and drainage channels, gorgeous light fitting and tiled walls.  Around the edges of the walls ran wooden slatted shelves topped with various lovely old chargers and jugs and pretend cheeses.  As with the other rooms, it was staged as if a maid could have appeared to prepare the cheese at any moment.

I don't think I've ever enjoyed visiting another National Trust (or similar) property as much as this one and we were all in agreement on that.  It was fabulous and I can't wait to go again!  I will definitely be going when it is time to design our kitchen, I cannot think of better inspiration.  Should you find yourselves anywhere nearby, please do make time for a visit as it is truly worth it.

I have only been able to share a little portion of the property with you here (completely biased towards the kitchen, of course) but the grounds are also beautiful, especially this little chapel replete with roses round the arch.



  1. Well all I can say is sooo beautiful and I can't wait to see what you do with your kitchen. We have no fitted units, all freestanding Georgian and Victorian items and I would never go back πŸ’› Thank you so much for another lovely post

  2. Gorgeous!!! I enjoyed this tour so much. Especially the kitchens. I would love mine to be designed like this one too. Thank you.

  3. As always your photographs are so enticing. That is one massive and interesting kitchen. I love the way it has been so creatively styled with the food everywhere. Enough to get you drooling. Did they have a tearoom on site?

    Have you ever visited Ightham Moat in Kent? For inspiration from a lot of eras, it simply cant be beaten.

  4. Just beautiful, a wonderful insight. Thank you for sharing a slice of your holiday πŸ˜€ x

  5. What a divine place and I thank you so very much for sharing it with those of us stuck in the wild west of Oregon, USA. I went to the State Fair here and posted today many quilts in their display or blue ribbon winners. You'd like it. My fave was the wedding ring design. Can't wait to see more of YOUR house. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

  6. It looks absolutely wonderful. Lanhydrock is somewhere that I've always wanted to visit and even more so after seeing your photos. The kitchens are always my favourite area too.

  7. We went to Lanhydrock earlier in the year - a return visit! - and loved it, it was great to see your pictures and to see how many of exactly the same things we photographed, but that you also took pictures of things I didn't even notice, shows that you can only take so much in doesn't it! Glad that you enjoyed it! xx

  8. I live about 15 miles from Lanhydrock and I love going to visit, I have been many times. I particularly love the fact that the kitchens were painted that particular shade of blue because it's supposed to repel flies! I have no idea if this works or not but I love the idea that it might :-)

  9. Soooo beautiful! I would have found the little things the most significant, too. Thank you for sharing! :)

  10. wow, wow, wow, actually took me back to the time knowing this how those days were.

  11. Lovely , I always love the bedrooms and kitchens best too . I have been there but didn't go in the house for some reasin . Have you been to Anthony House near Torpoint just into Cornwall that's a homely one and you have to go to Cothele also just into Cornwall in the Autumn to see their huge dried flower swag
    Sue x

  12. Lovely tour and thank you from the USA! We are about an hour and a half by car from the Biltmore Estate in North Carolina, USA and the kitchens are fantastic there too and I love seeing all the below stairs rooms best.


You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X