Sunday, 13 December 2015

It's beginning to look a lot like...

Oh my, where has the time flown?  It's really December already?  Yes, it is!  We've begun to get into the swing of things round here.  Last year, having moved house a couple of months before Christmas, everything seemed a bit last minute so this year, we have got into the festive spirit a bit early.  Furry Frank has joined in with his marabou stole, ooh la la!



We went out for the tree at the first available opportunity and found a new Christmas tree "farm" nearby where we were spoiled for choice.  I always go for the biggest I can find!



With the change of the seasons, Mr HenHouse and I have managed more days out as in the Summer, we seem to be busy outdoors in the garden all the time.  Everywhere is awash with fallen leaves, that's life in the country for you (along with copious spiders) but it has still been very mild and looking quite pretty.  We've finished our decorating work indoors for this year (we'll be back at it in January), so we've taken the chance to catch up and have a few days out.  


We always enjoy a trip to the fairs at Shepton Mallet and in the Winter, it can be less busy which is always a bonus for us (not so for the stall holders, I expect).  We've picked up some lovely items, I never come away empty handed!



Finally, I have found more time to spend in my Den and a lot more craftiness has been going on which always makes me happy (if tired!)  First up was a project I'd been meaning to get round to for a few years.  Out came the vintage quilt pieces and bundles of the prettiest vintage fabrics.  It was time for some soothing hand paper piecing on a small scale.


I think I have been inspired by all things sparkly in the run up to the festive season and I have been hoarding gorgeous vintage and antique lace, trimmings and all sorts of pretty bits and pieces.  I decided I had to sort out my collection of vintage lace and that took a fair few hours, I can tell you.


More sorting out came along when I found some dinky little printer's trays on Bridport market, just perfect for what I term my "fripperies".  I am quite the magpie, it seems.


I have a furry helper who had taken a shine to a certain vintage quilt on top of my rack of wools in the Den.  There you are, Mr Peach, hiding behind the marabou trims!


After hiding away in my Den for the best part of a week, I began to see the fruits of my labours.  A fairy doll head adorned with feathers and a vintage frippery (there's that word again), protecting her modesty under layers of gorgeous vintage lace...


Can you guess what this little number is?  A pretty confection of old rose paisley quilt, vintage lace and that EPP I was enjoying each evening in front of the fire...


Talking of fires, we had a little move round in the sitting room to get the tree in and we're quite happy with the result.  Just in case you were wondering where he is, Charlie Boy is never far from the warmth of the roaring logs.


Upstairs, some finished goodies had emerged from the Den.  Pretty patchwork stockings waiting for Santa to fill on Christmas eve...




Cute-as-a-button fairy dolls all entirely handmade and handpainted by yours truly and making use of that hoarded collection of vintage pretties.


Meet Lily, named after the sprig of vintage lily of the valley flowers at the waist of her stunning lace skirt.


Silver is a bit of a favourite of mine, if that is allowed...


I didn't get a chance to name this little lady before she flew off to fill a lucky lady's stocking on Christmas Day this year...


I'm pleased to say that I've finally been able to put some new items into my little Etsy shop, so should you have been a very good girl or boy this year and fancy nipping over, you will as always, be most welcome there.  (The stockings have already sold but I am working on a couple more at the moment which will be in my shop as soon as my little hands can get them there!)
Xxx

P.S.  A big thank you to those of you who sent me a little prompt to write another post.  It's obviously just what I needed! X

16 comments:

  1. Love those beautiful fairy dolls, and the Christmas stocking.
    Your printers tray is a delight
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to see another post and a Christmassy one too. 🎅
    I check here first thing EVERY morning in anticipation of a new Henhouse blog but it was worth the wait...... as usual you didn't disappoint.
    Your house is looking really lovely and the fairy dolls are exquisite.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your home is looking so beautiful, Hen.
    Zxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you have posted again, it always makes me feel happier. Like Sue says, I check the blog every day in anticipation of your writings. Your house is looking fantastic as usual, and I love the fairies, I want one :) Cant wait to see your tree up and festooned

    ReplyDelete
  5. I check you several times a week so I was delighted to see you return! The stocking is gorgeous and I love your fairies - so delicate and wonderrfully bejeweled! Your front room is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all your beautiful sparkley bits and bobs but I have to admit the cats put a smile on my face, although if looks could kill Frank wins hands down, lol! Me thinks Frank is not all that enamored of the feather boa! Sending best wishes for a happy fun day at your house!
    Tina xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. always enjoy your lovely blog hen, such a beautiful festive home with a roaring fire and furry friends, love the fairies too...merry christmas...im in the process of a big move packing and boxing...but will end up in my dream devon location in a wonderful cottage so all worth it in the end...but i doubt we will have a christmas tree this year as we move just days before christmas!!!! hope you enjoy your time this year x (kazzyloves on instagram/pinterest)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have been up to some lovely things! So good to catch up with you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, your lovely home! I am always so heart-warmed to see a post from you. I know it will be chock-full of pleasant things...so thank you for making my day, as always. God bless you and your sweet family with a Merry Christmas season!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh I am soooo pleased to see your post. Worth the wait, full of loveliness and beauty from start to finish. Fairy dolls are exquisite. Hope you have time to post your decorated tree, always a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so talented!! Good to see you back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your home, your back yard view, and your beautiful creations. I always enjoy this peek into your creative life and especially the kitties. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just have to tell you how much I love your sitting room. I always enjoy your posts. Lovely photo of your stocking and quilt. I agree with the other comments, you are so talented.
    Have a Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thrilled to bits to see a new post from you. The little snippets of your home are gorgeous as are the crafty projects (as usual). What about a peek at the decorated tree????? Wishing you and all the boys...furry and otherwise...a very Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your home... And your kitties, of course!

    Gentle hugs,
    From across the pond

    ReplyDelete
  16. I so enjoyed your little fairy dolls and your beautiful home pictures and your furry friends!

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X