Monday, 22 February 2016

Some Exciting News!

Hello there!   Thank you so much to those lovely readers who have got in touch wondering where I am.  Here I am!  It's been an unfeasibly busy few months here behind the scenes at the HenHouse and I can barely believe how time has flown  but I've lots to share with you and some really exciting news.  Let's catch up then.

This blog has traditionally featured a lot of the crafty things I have been making but admittedly, there has not been an awful lot of free time for my favourite hobbies round here so not a lot to report to you on that front.  I did in the Summer, have a rather lovely time making this pretty quilt.  It's made from a mix of my favourite things: Liberty Tana Lawn cottons, old shirting and both vintage and modern florals to boot.  You might spot there's a loose red and green colour theme going on.  There was a reason for that.




In fact, I made not one but a pair of these pretty quilts.  They were destined not for my home, not for anyone elses' home either this time, but for a special place I haven't mentioned for a while.  



I made those cute green gingham curtains, too.  This room has had something of a makeover, it has to be said.

The reason I made two quilts is fairly obviously, because there are two beds, of course.  Vintage wooden ones to be precise, dressed with candy striped sheets, embroidered pillowcases and the prettiest cotton floral bedlinen.  Dreamy.  The red and green colour theme was to tie in with some existing furniture this room had which was being reused.  Do you remember this room now?  It looked a lot more yee-haw-cowboy-themed the last time you saw it!



Some of you might even remember this magazine?  In fact, quite a few people on Instagram say they still own a copy!  This was the magazine in which a certain cute little thatched hamstone cottage featured, a few years back now, in the special vintage issue.



There I am, stitching away on the infamous rosy print sofa.



We're talking about Lilac Cottage, of course, our special little holiday home here in the West Country.  You may have been wondering what has happened to it.



We don't have any reason, sadly, to use the cottage as our own holiday home now as it's not a million miles away from where we live (however, it is sometimes quite tempting!)  We were loathe to part with the place, though and we couldn't help thinking that just as we had enjoyed so many brilliant holidays within its old walls, there might be other folk out there who would feel the same.



So we've had a little project on our hands, which as they have a habit of doing, turned into a much bigger project than we anticipated!

As the cottage was empty, we felt it was a good opportunity to show her a little TLC and give the place a fresh new look; redecorating both inside and out, a few building works and a new boiler so that when she did finally open her door to special visitors, Lilac Cottage would be at her very best.



After a bit of a wait, we've worked our magic and once more, these four hundred year old walls are ready to welcome new visitors from near and far.



In the background, we've also had to grapple with the frankly less thrilling task of embracing new fangled technology!  So a website has been built so that in a virtual fashion, we can share the delights of Lilac Cottage with anyone who might be enticed to stay in her.



We've been researching hard; it's only fair that the website should contain information on the best places to sample cider, partake of a cream tea and shop for thrifty vintage goodies, I'm sure you will agree. So as well as telling you all about the cottage herself, you can read (and see oodles of pictures) about the surrounding location (which is pretty special, we must say) and what's going on in the area in terms of the best vintage fairs and the loveliest places to visit.  There's a list of dates on our News page so you can plan your stay to coincide with the fabulous Shepton Mallet Flea Market or the Bridport Vintage Sundays, for example.



The master bedroom has had a mini makeover, too.  The dark beams have been painted in more soothing shades and the whole cottage feels much lighter and fresher.  There's pretty Cath Kinston bedding and of course, a vintage eidy and growling teddy bear awaiting our first guests.  I think you probably understand what I mean when I say we are tempted to stay there ourselves!



So, if you've ever hankered after a fabulous vintage-style break in the wonderful West Country, Lilac Cottage is ready to open her arms and welcome you.



You can read all about her charms and those of wonderful Somerset and neighbouring Dorset and Devon on our brand spanking new website HERE.  We also have a new email address if there's anything you want to contact us about directly: stay@lilac-cottage.com.

It goes without saying that we'd love to welcome you to Lilac Cottage with a basket of freshly laid eggs from our hens, home-baked scones (which will be coming courtesy of my new Aga very soon) and my prize-winning jam!

I promise it won't be so long until next time because while all this has been going on at Lilac Cottage, there's much to report from the HenHouse, too!

Thank you for stopping by. Xxx

22 comments:

  1. Genius idea! I am so happy for you and wish you the best of success. I'm also happy for us out here in Blog Land, that you are not going away and you will still be posting. I'm sure your place will be as charming as your blog and if I'm ever over your way, (across the pond haha) I'd love to stop for a stay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was such a lovely surprise to see you back blogging when I checked tonight, welcome back! Lilac cottage looks heavenly and I've bookmarked your website in the event we ever manage all the way down to your corner of the island. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back...... I had almost given up hope that we would see you again. The cottage looks lovely and as a newly retired Aussie Quilter, currently spending 12 months touring the UK and Europe I will be looking at your website to try and squeeze in a visit. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know everytime I think I haven't seen your wonderful blog in a while there you are! Off look at the website now.
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant, glad to hear from you again and Lilac Cottage looks spectacular. I am off to the website myself now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ho what pleasure you find. and all your achievements... everything is beautiful in you '
    It is a source of inspiration for me... Thank you for all these shares I hope come a day in this pretty cottage it is my dearest wish I so love England. M e r c i (Avec translater)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks wonderful! Have been regularly checking your blog for updates - what a lovely surprise - you must have been working hard! Will check the website - may be the ideal location for a spot of house Hunting as we're hoping to relocate ourselves soon ....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Divine! Makes me want to book a room straight away but I might wait for sunnier days :) I wish you the best of luck with all of it and much future success.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hen, Lilac Cottage is a dream come true. What you and yours have created there is a very special place, that I am sure will be vastly appreciated by very special people.

    Congratulations! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! Absolutely stunning and welcoming. Have missed your posts. Can see why now, you've been very busy!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful, charming cottage! If I were to come to England, I shall book it, for certain! Visiting England is a long time dream of mine!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  12. I knew you must have been up to something since you were gone from blogging for so long. What a wonderful surprise. My husband and I will be celebrating our fiftieth wedding anniversary in a couple of years and this sounds like a place where we would love to spend it. We are making plans now and hopefully in a few months we can book a couple of weeks in your beautiful cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember reading about your cottage in that issue of the magazine. Lilac Cottage looks an absolute delight and I wish you the very best with your new venture :-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the photos! Can I ask, what color/brand did you use to paint over the beams? Such a beautiful shade! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How I wish I could stay there for a few days.You have made such a lovley job of redecorating.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful news! So glad your absence was for something so exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck with your new venture Hen, it's such a pretty cottage that it's bound to be very popular. But surely you aren't going to leave your Carlton Ware on the dresser! Sad to think that I won't ever bump into you again in Lewes.
    Mary xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I didn't know you had an instagram account and was just checking out the photos there: WOW! You look great! What is your weight loss secret?? I'm trying to lose about 30 pounds and so far have given up my 2-3 soda a day habit. It's certainly not easy! You do look wonderful, I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The cottage looks wonderful! If you have any "flyers" advertising it..we could put them out at our events to spread the word for you. Lizzie x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have been reading your blog for awhile now, and so enjoy it! And I love your pretty cottage--am sure you'll have plenty of bookings. Whenever my hubby and I make it over the Pond, we'll be sure to make plans for a stay.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Have been reading your blog for awhile now, and so enjoy it! And I love your pretty cottage--am sure you'll have plenty of bookings. Whenever my hubby and I make it over the Pond, we'll be sure to make plans for a stay.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Hen we need a post we are wondering what you are getting up to!! I keep checking but you aren't there!!!

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X